Monday, July 23, 2007

Sightseeing on Sunday (start at the bottom of the post and work your way up)

Just some cute freebies thrown in for you.




Here is a picture of the Presidential Palace (we later found out that the President of Taiwan was in our hotel for something) and just as important was the Ice Monster shop that our driver was able to hunt down. This was also on my list of things to do and I am so happy that he found it. The line for this was way down the street so you know it must be good for people to stand out in the hot sun. Ice Monster serves this incredible thing that has shaved ice with fresh fruit topping. It doesn't sound like much but it was amazing-I think we should open one in Michigan.






Taiwan is famous for their beef noodle soup and now we know why! Our driver took us to a little shop and we were able to sample some great soup and dumplings. I had to take a picture of Brent enjoying his soup even though it does highlight his baldness a little too much. Sorry Brent!






Next, we visited Longshan temple. This is a very big and famous temple in Taipei. There were so many people there praying and offering sacrifices. Because we are Christians we believe that through adoption God has called Ty and Samantha out of Buddhism and into a realtionship with the true God.















We were going to see the Museum of History that houses many artifacts from Taiwans past but as you can see the line was long and it was super hot outside. We decided to just take photos and maybe see it another time.






This was a picture of Taipei University but we weren't able to walk around. The campus was very beautiful.




After the flower market we were in for a real treat. I had given our driver a wish list of places I would like to see and on that list was the Taipei public library and our driver was able to find that. Samantha loves books and she really enjoyed her daddy reading to her. We finally had to drag her away. The library was so beautiful and really focused on children with many rooms devoted specifically to children and even babies. This was the first time I had to take off my shoes to go into the library.













Our day started out at the Jade and Flower market. It was so interesting! They had so many different types of plants/flowers and trees that I had never seen before. Too bad we aren't allowed to bring back plants on the plane or we could have bought a great little bonzai tree. The flower market was huge and seemed to go on forever. It was super hot and humid inside the market. The market is only open on sat and sun because they take a parking garage and convert it to the markets. The Jade Market had so many different types of jewelry and beads. As the name implies there were many types of Jade jewelry but also many other types of beads. I was able to buy a Jade bracelet so I was happy. I thought I found the perfect bracelet but then discovered that it cost 1,000 USD so we had to pass on that one.









1 comment:

rich said...

you lloks so pro. with the carrier:) very experienced mom!
sleep as much as you can.