After not sleeping (again) last night we awoke at 6:30 to get ready to meet Olivia. We met the Christian Salvation Services (CSS) social worker and took a cab to the Taipei main station to catch the high speed train to Kaosiung. The train ride was uneventful and took a little less than two hours to reach Kaosiung. We saw on the news there was flooding in this area but we didn't see any evidence of it. After a short cab ride to the China Children's Fund office we were ready to meet Olivia and her foster care worker. I had been pretty calm all morning but as we were getting closer I started getting more nervous. The reality of another child joining our family was starting to settle in. After entering the building we peeked around the corner into the play room and Olivia was laying sprawled out on the floor. I think she had been waiting for us for a while. When she saw me she ran up to me and said in English, "Mama, I love you" and she said the same to Brent. We sat on the floor and immediately Brent became the human jungle gym (see pictures). She wasn't too sure about me because she said I looked different than my pictures. Boy was she hyper!! I don't think she sat still for one half of a second during our playing time. Mostly she pinched dad's cheeks and ears, said dad had no hair and a big nose. Poor dad. I could tell the foster care worker was somewhat sad to see her go as she was crying several times during the meeting. Olivia continued to run back to her for support but was happy to sit on Brent's lap too. We talked for about an hour and then we started to pack up to go. When Olivia realized everyone was leaving she started to tear up and was quite sad. The cab ride back to the train station was crying the whole way. Of course, that was to be expected as she was leaving someone that she obviously cared about. It was sad though to know she was in so much pain. After we got to the train station we found the magic cure, food! Boy does this kid like to eat. I'm pretty sure she weighs more than her six year old sister. As we waited for the train she was calm and happy. She was a very good girl on the train ride back to Taipei and we haven't seen a reemergence of the tears (yet). She kept herself busy on the train playing with the toys that we brought and of course, eating food. Once back at the hotel we were all exhausted from a very emotionally draining day so we knew this was the time for swimming-or else we'd all be sleeping. Olivia was a bit unsure of the pool but as long as she hung onto daddy she was all right. We included pictures of this first swim. As I am typing Brent is zonked out on the bed and Olivia is watching Winnie the Pooh. I think the day went as well as can be expected and Olivia is a very brave girl. Tomorrow is our appointment for her visa so hopefully all will go well.
Brent and I sure do miss Ty and Samantha and can't wait to get home! I'll write more tomorrow and I think Brent is going to try and upload video later (if he wakes up). Thanks for your prayers.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
What a brave, sweet girl! Such smiles already!! Excellent!
Super nice pictures. Hey Brent nice Don Shula steak house shirt!! How did that shirt make it all the way overseas? Amy throw that shirt out. Ha-ha joking. Wow nice pictures!!!! She is super cute. -Uncle David
I can't control my tears right now.
I am so happy for you all.... Olivia is soooo brave and is absolutely adorable. Congratulations Amy and Brent!!!!!!!!!!!!! She really looks soooo happy to be with both of you. I hope the rest of the week goes just a smooth....
Can't wait to see and hear more.
Joyce
OK I have been back to look at the pictures 4 times in an hour. -Uncle David
Congratulations -- how wonderful that Olivia is finally with her forever family! Sounds like it was a very emotional day. Love the pictures!
I agree. Great photos guys! I love your stories. Thanks for keeping all of us back here updated.
Love, Kimberly
This is the first chance I have had to read your blog, we were out of town, and I have been dying to see Olivia with you guys all week!! She is beautiful and I am so excited for your family! Looks like a Daddy's girl already. Huge congrats to you guys and what a brave little girl Olivia is.
Post a Comment